The Airport Authority Hong Kong (AAHK) has selected Aconex, leading provider of a cloud and mobile platform for the global construction industry, for the design and construction of the 10-year Three Runway System (3RS) project at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA).
The new 3RS project, valued at HK$141,5 billion (€23 billion), is part of the HKIA Master Plan 2030 published by the AAHK in 2011 and is intended to balance economic development with environmental conservation and sustainability. Aconex was awarded the 3RS project in an open tender process.
“The 3RS project is a strategic addition to our portfolio of large airport projects around the world,” says Andy Lake, General Manager of Asia at Aconex. “We appreciate the opportunity to support the AAHK and its project team on an environmentally sustainable infrastructure development that will have significant positive impact on the economic and business environment of Hong Kong.”
The AAHK will use Aconex as a project communication system to connect the entire project team on a single collaboration platform for managing information and processes through all phases of the project lifecycle.
Project scope comparable to a new airport
The scope of the 3RS project approaches the design and construction of a new airport:
- Reclamation of approximately 650 hectares of land north of the existing airport island, using non-dredge methods such as a deep cement mixing technique
- A new 3,800m runway and supporting taxiway systems, as well as reconfiguration of the existing north runway
- A Third Runway Passenger Building with more than 280,000sqm of floor space, 57 new parking spaces, and an apron
- Expansion of the existing Terminal 2 to provide arrival, departure and other passenger services
- A new 2,600m Automated People Mover (APM) system connecting Terminal 2 with the new passenger building and capable of transporting up to 10,800 passengers per hour
- A new Baggage Handling System (BHS) linking Terminal 2 with the new Third Runway Passenger Building
- Construction of other associated airport support infrastructure, a road network and transportation facilities.